Olympus Power and its affiliates make equity investments in (a) the acquisition, development, ownership and operation of power generation projects (including operating, greenfield and brownfield projects), typically through investments in partnerships or limited liability companies; (b) private companies that develop, design, provide or facilitate proven technology-based products and services that are applicable to the energy industry or its customers; and (c) energy-related companies or assets having renewable or environmentally-beneficial attributes.
Our primary strategy focuses on the acquisition of operating assets, and projects in varied stages of development, through privately negotiated transactions and select auction processes. We primarily invest in existing energy-generation assets with a target investment size between $5 million to $100 million per transaction. Olympus’ principal geographic focus is North America. Olympus Power may invest a substantial part, if not all, of the required equity in smaller transactions and will seek to partner with its longstanding network of industry firms and financial institutions in larger transactions.
When assessing a new investment opportunity for Olympus, the primary selection criteria includes:
- • profitability and cash-generation capability of the asset or company throughout an industry/economic cycle;
- • identifiable risks which can be hedged or mitigated;
- • relationship-referred and/or privately negotiated transactions which allow for the avoidance of auctions that often inflate prices and reduce returns on equity;
- • barriers to entry allowing protection of such capability (e.g., market share, intellectual property position and industry fundamentals);
- • organic growth and expansion prospects of the asset or company;